Wednesday 7 March 2012

Mudbox?

So, I recently used Mudbox in my professional project to add high quality details to a lizard, like scales and wrinkles, etc. I then used a feature that creates a normal map from the high poly version so you can apply it to the low poly version and keep all of the details but still have something useable in Maya. I found that it worked really well and I think that I am going to do the same thing for all of the armor parts. It's the best way to have full control over the normal maps. It also seems to be what all the professionals do, you always see on their portfolios a high poly sculpted model used to create normal maps for the low poly model. I think this will also make my models to extremely better. It also might be quicker than trying to create normal maps from random textures I find online.

Here's an example of normal maps being created in Mudbox and being applied to a low poly model. Click to enlarge.



This will hopefully help me catch up on texturing because time is running out and I'm going to have to put in a lot of hours in order to finish. The same thing happened last semester but I managed to finish in time so I'm not to worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment